This is a great recipe for when you are looking for a ‘take-away’ meal but want to be sure it is healthy & delicious and worth making at home.
1 tsp truffle oil
1 tsp groundnut or sesame oil
1 inch fresh ginger, grated
Optional: 1 small red chilli, deseeded and finely sliced
1 small pack (280g) firm tofu, cut into pieces
80g sugar snap peas, cut into half length ways
1 medium carrot, cut into fine strips
1 cup shiitake mushrooms, slices
1/2 head of Chinese leaf cabbage (or 1 pak choi), shredded
3 tbsp soy sauce (we use Braggs or Tamari)
1 tbsp hoisin sauce
1 tbsp rice vinegar
1 pack (approx 300g) noodles of your choice (we use brown rice noodles to make it gluten free and wholesome)
Fresh coriander for garnish
Fresh nuts/seeds of your choice, toasted, for garnish
- Using a wok or a large deep frying pan, head the oils before adding in the tofu.
- Saute the tofu for 5 minutes until golden brown then transfer to a plate.
- Add the rest of the vegetables (except the Chinese leaf cabbage) to the wok/pan and stir fry for 2 minutes until slightly wilted but still crunchy.
- If you are using dried noodles, cook these in hot water until tender (not overdone).
- Add the Chinese leaf cabbage (or pak choi), soy sauce, hoisin sauce and rice vinegar to the vegetables along with the noodles and stir fry for 3-4 minutes.
- Return the tofu back to the pan and cook for a final 2 minutes.
- Divide the mixture into 2 bowls and top with fresh coriander and a sprinkling of toasted sesame seeds or peanuts.
– steamed broccoli
– steamed or raw broad beans
– cooked peas
– green and/or red peppers
– pineapple chunks for sweetness
– edible seaweed (kombu slices stir fried works well and adds to the nutritional value of this dish)