This is a great alternative to the store bought version and extremely zesty and fresh tasting.
Makes 8 servings
4 litres of cold water
8 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
1/2 cup sugar
Juice from 2 lemons and zest
1/2 cup of fresh orange juice
- In a large saucepan, bring water and cranberries to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer until berries begin to pop approx. 20 minutes.
- Strain through a fine strainer, pressing mixture with a spoon; discard berries (or keep the pulp in the freezer which can be used for baking at a later stage).
- Return cranberry juice to the pan. Stir in the sugar, lemon juice and orange juice. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until sugar is dissolved.
- Remove from the heat. Cool. Transfer to a pitcher; cover and refrigerate until chilled.
- Serve over ice with a slice of lemon or lime for decoration.