It’s easy eating green with this fresh take on pesto pasta. Pistachios add a subtle sweetness and crunchiness to the dish along with the vibrant green colours of the peas and broad beans. Super tasty and nutritious.
400g pasta shape of your choice (you can use a gluten-free variety if desired)
200g peas (can be fresh or frozen)
150g broad beans (fresh or frozen), skin removed then weighed
70g pistachio kernels (reserve some for garnish)
100g vegan Parmesan (reserve some for garnish)
2 tbsp nutritional yeast
25g fresh basil (reserve some for garnish)
1 tsp truffle oil
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (keep 1 tbsp to one side with lemon juice)
1 small red chilli, deseeded and finely sliced or 1/2 tsp chilli flakes
1 lemon, juice and zest (keep half of the juice to one side)
Optional: 1 tbsp capers (for garnish)
- Put the pistachio kernels in a frying pan and dry roast over medium heat, shaking often for 4 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Cook pasta in salted water.
- When the pasta is nearly cooked, add the peas and broad beans to the pasta and cook for 3 minutes, before draining (reserve 1 cup of the pasta water)
- To make the pesto, add all the ingredients to a food processor and blend until you have a creamy yet not too fine a mixture.
- Put the pasta back into the saucepan over a low heat with the pesto and gently fold together
- Serve the mixture into serving plates and top with a drizzle of oil & lemon juice and garnish with pistachio nuts, parmesan cheese and a basil leaf.