These crisp, savoury crackers are not only tasty, they keep well and can be filled with healthy and nutritious ingredients.
Why not top them up with smashed avocado, salsa, vegan cream cheese or vegan pate for that ultimate tasty snack.
2 cups flax seeds
3 cups cold water
1/2 cup walnuts (or you can use pecans)
1 cup sun-dried tomato
2 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp chilli flakes
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp mixed Italian herbs
Small bunch of fresh basil (approx. 1/2 cup finely chopped)
Small bunch of fresh coriander (approx. 1/2 cup finely chopped)
1/2 tsp truffle oil
- Measure out the flax seeds and water in a large bowl and mix well until combined. Set aside for 45 minutes until the water has been absorbed and the mixture becomes sticky.
- Place the walnuts and sun-dried tomatoes in 2 separate bowls and cover them with warm water. Leave to one side.
- When the flax seeds have finished soaking, add the tomatoes and pecans along with their liquid to a food processor and pulse until finely chopped but NOT pureed. Mix this into the seeds.
- Add all the other ingredients to the flax mixture and stir until well combined.
- Line the dehydrator tray with Teflex/baking sheets and spread the flax mixture out over the surface, to 5mm thickness.
- Score the mixture with a knife to create individual crackers when they have become crispy.
- Dehydrate for 5 hours.
- After 5 hours lift the baking sheet/Teflex off the tray and flip the crackers back onto the tray (without any baking sheet/Teflex) as this helps the crackers to breath and crisp up. Dehydrate for an additional 2 hours.
- Once ‘baked’ break into already scored pieces and enjoy with your favourite toppings.