These are a delicious, quick and simple dish to make and a fabulous meal in the Autumn/Winter months.
1 large savoy cabbage
For the filling:
1/2 cup soya mince or 1 cup cooked brown lentils if avoiding soy
1 cup cooked rice (white/brown of your choice)
1/2 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
1 tbsp soy sauce (Braggs) or amino acids (for saltiness)
Black pepper to taste
For the sauce:
1/4 cup tomato passata
4 tbsp just boiled water
1 tbsp tomato puree
1 tbsp olive/sunflower oil
Salt & pepper to taste
- Pre-heat oven to 180c
- Cook the cabbage whole in a large saucepan filled with water for about 20 minutes (until tender) and leave to cool to one side.
- Mean while mix the soya mince with 1/2 cup just boiled water, soy sauce and black pepper. If you are using lentils, do not add any extra water!
- Add the rice and fresh parsley to the filling mix and leave to one side.
- Mix all the sauce ingredients and leave to one side.
- Once the cabbage has cooled down, gently peel away the layers of leaves and put on a tray to use for rolling.
- To fill the cabbage leaves, take one leaf and fill with 2 tbsp of the filling mixture (depending on size of leaves) and fold in either side of the leaves and roll tightly.
- In a large glass oven dish, put half of the tomato sauce on the bottom of the dish and start to lay out the rolled stuffed cabbages.
- Once you have filled up the dish with the cabbage rolls, pour the rest of the tomato sauce evenly across the top.
- Cover the dish and bake in the oven for 1 hour.
- Enjoy with some vegan yoghurt (I love natural Oat Gurt yoghurt) and warm sourdough bread.