Scones are a great treat to have as an afternoon snack, filled with delicious plant-based cream of your choice and preserve of your choice or you can add some vegan cheese to it to make it a great savoury addition to enjoy with soups, stews or even salads.
The choice is yours so all you have to think is how will you enjoy yours?
2 cups self-raising flour
3/4 cup plant based milk (I used soy for this one however any variety work well)
1/2 cup plant-based spread (I use Flora plant butter) – use straight from the fridge and cut into cubes
1 tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp sea salt
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda (bicarbonate)
Juice from 1/2 lemon (and zest if you desire)
Sweet: Add 1/4 cup of mixed dried vine fruits (raisins, sultanas, cranberries)
Savoury: Add 1/4 cup of grated vegan cheese and 1 tbsp of nutritional yeast to give it that delicious ‘cheesy’ flavour. Keep some cheese to add to the top of scones before baking.
- Pre-heat oven to 200C/400F
- Put all the dry ingredients into a mixing bowl and mix together (if using, add the cheese or vine fruits at this stage)
- Add the butter and crumble into the dry ingredients with your fingers until you have a crumble mixture
- Add the milk, lemon juice & zest until the mixture comes together into a ball
- If too wet, add extra flour. If too dry, add a little more milk
- On a flat baking tray, put a piece of baking paper
- Roll out the scone mixture on a clean floured surface, into about 1 inch thickness and cut out 8 pieces
- Shape and put onto the baking sheet
- Brush some milk on the top of the scones and bake in the oven for 14 minutes
- Enjoy with your favourite filling or as an accompaniment to your favourite savoury dishes