These delicious burger patties are really easy to make and versatile as they can be enjoyed on their own as a snack, in a burger bun filled with fresh lettuce and tomatoes and your favourite sauces or as an accompaniment with other dishes (rice & potato). These burgers can also be frozen to be enjoyed at a future date (if they last).
Makes about 8 burgers.
4 large/baking potatoes, peeled & roughly chopped (you can use sweet potatoes if preferred or use 2 of each)
Firm tofu (approx 300g). If you don’t want to use tofu, you can use a can of jackfruit or a can of your favourite beans
Handful fresh parsley, washed and chopped
Juice from 1/2 lemon
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp truffle oil (optional)
Sea salt and black pepper
4 tbsp sunflower oil
- Boil the potatoes in salted water for approx 20 minutes (until the potatoes are soft when you put a fork through it)
- Drain the potatoes and return to the pan and mash until smooth. Leave aside to cool
- Grate the tofu in a large mixing bowl and add the mashed potatoes
- Add the tofu/ jackfruit/beans adding in the lemon juice, truffle oil, herbs & spices and mix until well combined
- Shape the mixture into balls (8-10) and then flatten into patties
- Put the patties in the fridge for a minimum of 30 minutes before cooking
- In a deep frying pan, add and heat the sunflower oil and gently saute the patties (4-5 at a time) 5 minutes on each side until golden brown
- Enjoy with a delicious green salad or in burger buns with ketchup, mustard, slices of fresh tomato, lettuce leaf & a slice of vegan cheese!