Having so many responsibilities can make it difficult to focus on yourself however by doing this, it can benefit yourself and your whole family.
Try some of these self-care tips.
- Turn off the news: It may feel important to keep up to date with the latest news however it is also easy to get addicted to it. Limit how much time you spend watching, listening or reading the news and put a little slot of 15 minutes aside either first thing or last thing to simply catch up on the highlights so you are always in the know.
- Say No: sometimes we go all out to be there for others, family, friends, colleagues, neighbours etc. However what is important is the self. Learn to say no when it is truly not convenient and compromises your own valuable time. There is always a time and place for everything, so set some ‘me time’ aside for yourself and don’t let anyone get in your way. Put it in your diary and book this time out!
- Learn a new hobby: this can be really fun. Choose something you have been wanting to do for a while whether it is painting, writing a short story or poem, learning a new craft, photography, or cooking/baking.
- Learn about nutrition: this will ultimately benefit your whole family if you start to learn the basics of healthy nutrition and what the essentials are needed for overall health and wellbeing. If you have children, get them involved. This is a great fun activity to do in the supermarket or farm shop, checking out all the fresh fruits and vegetables, finding out what they are first and foremost and then finding out what nutritious values they have so that you can include them in your diet. Also walk around and start to identify different types of beans and lentils as these are a great source of protein and fibre and you can really get creative when cooking and even baking with these!
- Be Mindful: take some time out to turn inwards. We all need some time out from ‘doing’ and simply ‘being’. Whether you choose to go out and be amongst the birds and trees in the fresh air or you stay at home in a quiet part of your home, simply take time to take some deep breaths, be thankful for all you have, give gratitude and move forward with newness.
- Walk: walking is truly beneficial on so many levels, from keeping fit, to getting fresh air and clearing the mind of waste thoughts. If you would like to, put on some music or an inspirational podcast and get stepping!