Buttercream is used as a filling or as a decoration for many different variety of sweet treats.
It is really easy to make and will keep in the fridge, in an airtight container, for 1 week to be re-used again if there is any left.
This recipe makes enough for 1 single 9″ layer cake or 12 cupcakesIngredients
- 3 and 1/2 cups (420g) icing sugar
- 1 cup (225g) vegan spread (I use vitalite or flora)
- Soya milk (or any plant-based milk will work)
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- In a food processor, add the icing sugar gently (it does get everywhere so watch out)
- Add the vegan butter, salt and vanilla essence and start to mix on a slow speed until the sugar has combined with the butter and then you can turn the speed up
- If the mixture is a little dry, start by adding the milk spoonful at a time. What you are looking for is a thick creamy consistency
- When the mixture is ready, you can use straight away by putting onto your cooled down sponge cake or into a piping bag for decorating onto your cake.
TIP: For other flavoured icing/buttercream, you can simply add to the food processor after you have added the icing sugar. If you are using cocoa powder because you want to make chocolate buttercream, you may need to add a little more milk to achieve the right consistency you are looking for.