I love this dish for many reasons. First it is super easy to make. Second, you can use any vegetables you like or have sitting in your veggie drawer in the fridge. Third, you can use any noodle you like i.e. courgetti for a raw and no-carb take to this dish, rice or veggie noodles for a gluten free option or any of the wide other variety of noodles out there on the market (I love Udon noodles on the occasion as they are thick and succulent). Fourth, last but not least, you can create any dressing/sauce that you like, using flavours that suit your palette as well as your taste buds and dietary requirements. So as you can see, this dish is totally versatile to you and your requirements.
200g of noodles of your choice (100g per person)
Vegetables – use up to 3 cups in total of a variety of vegetables you like or have to hand. For this dish I used:
1/2 cup broccoli, cut into florets, use the stem also as this adds extra crunchiness
1/2 soya beans (for protein – you can also add 100g total of firm tofu, cut into strips, for protein if you so wish)
1/2 red peppers, sliced into strips
1/2 cup shiitake mushrooms, sliced into strips
1/2 cup chestnut mushrooms, sliced into strips or quartered
1 small red chilli, deseeded and finely slice
1 inch fresh ginger, grated
4 tbsp soya sauce, I use Braggs amino acids
Black pepper to taste
Juice from 1 lime
1 tsp maple syrup
1 tbsp truffle oil (as I don’t use garlic or onions, I use truffle oil to give a hint of garlic without adding it. However you can use 1 clove of garlic, grated and/or 2 spring onions, finely sliced at the beginning of your cooking process).
Other vegetable options: baby corn, carrots, green beans, courgettes, aubergine, pak choi, spinach – the list is endless.
Garnish – I use fresh coriander leaves, toasted nuts (peanuts or cashews work well), slice of lime & a slice of red chilli for decoration
- In a bowl full of boiling water, add the noodles and cook until al-dente. Every noodle is different so check your packets for directions. Once cooked, drain HOWEVER keep 1 cup of the water to one side (you may not need to use all of it however keep it to hand).
- In a large deep frying pan or wok, add the truffle oil, ginger & chilli slices and saute for a minute
- Then add all the other vegetables, on a medium heat and saute for 5 minutes
- Add the remaining liquids (soya sauce, lime juice and maple syrup) and mix into the vegetables well
- Add 1/2 cup of the noodle water to the veggies, turn down the heat, cover and cook for 5 minutes
- Add the noodles and mix
- Serve on a dish and add the garnishes that you like
Simple, delicious and nutritious and definitely will have you eating most of your daily vegetable quota in one dish!