This dish is super easy to make as well as so tasty and nutritious. It is a great dish to prepare in advance as well as enjoy as a meal or snack.
Makes 4 servings
2 cups basmati rice
8 curry leaves
1/2 cup peanuts (or cashews or pine nuts)
2 tbsp Sunflower oil
1 tsp Cumin seeds or powder
1 tsp Turmeric
1 tsp Mustard Seeds
1 tsp Sea salt
1/2 cup fresh Coriander leaves (washed)
1 small red chilli (optional) finely sliced
Juice from 1 lemon
- Wash the rice thoroughly until the water runs clear.
- Cook the rice with 4 cups of water and 1/2 tsp sea salt, bring to a boil and then turn heat down and simmer for 15 minutes
- Meanwhile, in a frying pan add 2 tbsp sunflower oil and add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, curry leaves and red chilli until you hear the seeds popping (put lid on until seeds have stopped popping)
- Add turmeric and mix
- Add rice and mix gently
- Add salt, black pepper and leave to simmer gently for 10 minutes
- Add lemon juice and mix
- Toast peanuts in a dry frying pan for about 5 minutes stirring constantly or you can microwave for 2 minutes, mixing half-way through
- Once the rice is ready, dish up in a bowl, top with coriander garnish and some peanuts and enjoy.
*Peanuts are a great source of protein and this is a delicious gluten free, vegan and complete dish*