Miso is rich in essential minerals and a good source of various B vitamins, vitamins E, K and folic acid. As a fermented food, miso provides the gut with beneficial bacteria that help us to stay healthy, vibrant and happy; good gut health is known to be linked to our overall mental and physical wellness as well as helping to build the immune system.
Here is my super nutritious recipe for miso soup.
8 cups hot water
4 stalks celery, including leaves, sliced
4 sheet nori (dried seaweed) cut into strips
5 tbsp white miso paste (fermented soy bean or brown rice paste)
1 cup chopped green chard or other greens (spinach, kale)
1 cup shiitake mushrooms, stalk removed and sliced
Optional: 1/2 cup firm tofu (cubed)
Optional: 1 medium carrot, grated
Fresh coriander and parsley for garnish
- Place hot water in a medium saucepan and bring to a simmer
- Add nori (seaweed) and simmer for 5 minutes
- Place miso in a small bowl with a little hot water and mix until smooth
- Add vegetables and tofu to the saucepan and cook for 5 minutes
- Remove from heat, add miso mixture and stir to combine
- Taste and add more miso if desired
- Top with herbs as garnish
- Serve warm.
This dish is at its best served when made as it will be highest in its nutrients.
To bulk this soup up, you can add some rice noodles.