Growing up, my favourite restaurant starter was a traditional ‘Prawn Cocktail’. To be honest, I loved the sauce and bread that came with it more than the prawns, which I found to be smelly however, since becoming vegan, I have substituted prawns with tofu to recreate this tasty classic.
Try it out for yourselves. It is so tasty, filling and nutritious.
Serves 4 as a main dish or 8 as a starter/side dish
1 block of firm tofu, cut into small cubes (396g pack – I use Organic Cauldron Tofu)
2 large iceberg lettuce, sliced
2 small/1 large avocado, sliced
1 cup cherry tomatoes, cut in half or if small leave whole
1/4 cup fresh parsley finely chopped (optional)
1/4 cup fresh coriander finely chopped (optional)
2 cups mixed watercress, spinach & rocket (optional) (80g pack)
1 lime cut into quarters
- In a big salad bowl, start by adding the lettuce, then watercress, spinach and rocket mix, then fresh herbs, topped by cherry tomatoes
- Along the outside of the salad place the avocado pieces
- Add lime pieces around the salad edge
- Prepare the Marie Rose sauce (click here for recipe https://virtuosofoods.com/2019/09/vegan-marie-rose-sauce/ and drizzle on the top of the salad
- Serve this with some fresh wholegrain or rye bread or oat crackers