It’s never too early for soup right?
I love soup anytime and when you are busy, this is a great dish to enjoy that is both warming and filling, not least nutritious.
3 medium parsnips, peeled and chopped
3 small/medium potatoes, peeled & chopped
1 medium carrot, peeled & chopped
2 medium stalks celery, sliced
2 medium apples, peeled & chopped (ideally cooking apples as these are sour and add a delicious flavour to the soup however I only had Gala apples in the fridge so I used them and they work well)
2 vegetable stock cubes dissolved in 2 litres hot water (or 2 litre fresh vegetable stock)
Salt & pepper to taste
1 tbsp fresh parsley finely chopped for garnish (or 1/2 tsp dried parsley)
1 large parsnip, peeled and thinly sliced (with a grater) to make crispy parsnip crisps
- Pre-heat oven to 190C
- In a medium saucepan add the stock water and all the vegetables. Once the water boils, turn heat down, cover and cook for 20 minutes
- Meanwhile, put the thinly sliced parsnips on a flat baking tray, spray with some sunflower oil, a little salt & pepper, mix with your hands and bake in the oven for 15 minutes ensuring you keep turning them over every 5 minutes as they tend to burn quickly.
- Once the vegetables are soft, mix with a hand blender until smooth
- Taste and add salt and pepper to taste
- Serve in bowls and top with parsley garnish and parsnip crisps
*Optional toppings: I added a drizzle of oat cream to the top of the soup before serving for a little added creaminess**