We always love a delicious slice of cake and make no excuses, especially as a treat, for a special occasion or just because!
Here is the recipe for our delicious vegan coffee and walnut cake, making it a little more healthier to enjoy by substituting white caster sugar with coconut sugar. Try it for yourself.
250g self raising flour
150g coconut sugar
1 tsp bicarbonate soda
1 tsp baking powder
Pinch of sea salt
2-4 tsp of instant good quality coffee powder/granules (depending on how strong you like your coffee)
1/3 cup chopped walnuts and approx 12 whole walnuts (for decoration)
200ml plant based milk (I use almond or soya)
4 tsp vinegar
75g sunflower/vegetable oil
- Pre-heat oven to 180C
- Make the buttermilk by adding the vinegar to the milk and leave to one side (for 10 minutes – the mix will start to curdle which is what you want)
- In a mixing bowl at all the dry ingredients and mix well
- Add the dry and wet ingredients together including the oil and mix well
- Oil a 9/10″ cake tin and put the mixture into it
- Bake for 30 minutes
- Leave to cool before decorating with buttercream and walnuts
NB: the recipe here makes a one layered cake. To make a double layer cake with buttercream in the middle and on the top, double up the recipe and pour out in 2 cake tins.