This is a great recipe to make up that works well with normal flour as well as gluten free flour. It is also very versatile so you can add different fruits that you like and even nuts if desired to make the cake truly rich and satisfying.
200 ml plant based milk (I use soya but you can use whatever works best for you)
4 tsp cider vinegar
240g self raising flour
160g caster/brown sugar
1/4 tsp bicarb soda
1/4 tsp baking powder
75ml sunflower, vegetable or rapeseed oil
Pinch of salt
Pinch of cinnamon
Pinch of nutmeg
Pinch of cardamon
Zest from orange and lemon
1/4 cup mixed fruits (raisins, sultanas, cherry, orange/lemon peel etc). You can buy this already mixed up for you from any high street supermarket.
** If you would like to add any nuts, walnuts work really well (you can add a 1/4 cup chopped walnuts to this recipe).
- Pre-heat oven to 180C
- Mix the milk & vinegar together and leave for 10 minutes whilst you measure the following ingredients
- Mix above dry ingredients into a bowl together well
- Add the milk and vinegar along with oil
- Mix well until the mixture has come together
- Put into a 8-10 inch oiled cake tin
- Bake for 30 minutes
- Leave to cool
- Add icing if desired (mix 1/2 cup of icing sugar with 2-4 tbsp of cold water – adding slowly until your icing is the consistency you like). Pour onto the cake once it has cooled.