As the weather starts to take a dip in temperatures, nothing is more soothing than a bowl of hot creamy tomato soup.
Here’s how to make this simple bowl of goodness which can be enjoyed any time of the day and great for on the go (in a flask or to be warmed up later).
8 medium/large vine tomatoes, washed and halved
1/4 cup fresh basil leaves (including stalks) (keep a few leaves for decoration)
1/4 cup coconut milk
1 medium potato, peeled and chopped into small bite-size pieces
1 carrot, peeled and chopped into small bite-size pieces
2 stalks celery, thinly sliced
1/2 fennel bulb, washed and thinly sliced
Salt & pepper to taste
Olive oil to drizzle
Coconut cream to drizzle on top
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C
- On a flat baking tray lay out the tomatoes, potatoes, fennel, carrots & celery, mix together & drizzle with a little olive oil.
- Sprinkle with salt & pepper and bake in the oven for 30 minutes
- After 30 minutes check that the potatoes are cooked and then transfer all the veggies into a blender / food processor.
- Boil some water and add 2 litres into a measuring jug with 3 vegetable stock cubes, mix & add to blender / food processor.
- Add fresh basil leaves & coconut milk, mix until smooth
- Taste and add salt & pepper to taste. If too thick, add a little more water and mix until ready
- Pour out into bowls and serve with a fresh basil leaf and a drizzle of coconut cream
Delicious served with fresh warm bread or sourdough/rye crisp crispbreads.