Delicious and healthy snacks to enjoy on long dark cold evenings is always a good thing.
Hummus is nutritious and filled with natural proteins and vitamins and when you add healthy fats and flavours, they are a great healthy choice for an evening snack as well as a sandwich filler, dipper and a side to many salads. HOW DO YOU ENJOY YOURS?
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed (keep the brine in a bowl to the side)
- 4 tbsp tahini
- 1/4 cup chickpea water
- juice of 1 or 2 lemons, to taste
- 1/2 – 1 tsp cumin (optional)
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika (optional however adds a nice smokiness)
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- good pinch of Himalayan salt, or to taste
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Place all ingredients in food processor and blend until desired consistency.
- Taste for flavor adding anything here and there that you like
- Toppings: I love to add something crunchy and nutty to the top. 2 of my favourite options are a) roasted chickpeas (baked in the oven at 200C with a little sprinkling of oil and some smoked paprika and great eaten on their own as a healthy snack) b) toasted pine-nuts (toasted in a dry oven on medium/high heat until browned
- Beetroot Hummus: add 2 medium beetroots to the main ingredients for a delicious tasty ingredient and a vibrant colour. I bake mine in foil in the oven at 170C for 1 hour, then remove the skin and add too the hummus mix)
- Basil Hummus: add 1/2 cup of fresh basil leaves to the main ingredients and mix for a vibrant green colour and full of goodness.
- Coriander Hummus: add 1/2 cup of fresh coriander leaves to the main ingredients and mix for a vibrant & fresh green colour.
- Garnish: fresh herbs (parsley, basil, coriander, thyme), fresh nuts of your choice (pine-nuts, walnuts, spices of your choice (smoke paprika, chilli flakes, coarsely ground black pepper, drizzling of fresh olive oil, squeeze of fresh lemon or lime)
- Sun-dried tomato Hummus: add 1/4 cup of sun-dried tomato to the main ingredients and mix, producing a vibrant red colour and very tasty and tangy.
- Toasted pitta bread / sourdough, crackers
- Fresh vegetable crudités
- In sandwiches
- As a side to salad
- Tortilla chips
Store in airtight container in refrigerator for up to a week or so.