This truly tasty and indulgent cake is perfect for the whole family, whether you are vegan or not, gluten intolerant or not and can be accommodated to those who want to be soy free and nut free.
Have a go and get creative in your kitchens baking this quick and easy cake.
Makes 8 generous slices
200g gluten free self-raising flour
1 tsp xanthan gum powder
30g cocoa powder
170g brown/coconut sugar
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp bicarbonate soda
Juice from 1 orange (and zest for topping)
200ml soya milk (can use rice milk instead)
75ml sunflower oil
100g vegan butter
100-200g icing sugar (depending on how thick or soft you want your buttercream)
4 tbsp cocoa powder
1 tsp orange essence
1 tbsp. soya/rice milk
- Pre-heat your oven to 180C
- Grease a 9″ cake tin and set to one side
- In a bowl mix all the dry ingredients
- In another bowl/measuring jug mix the wet ingredients
- Combine the 2 bowls until the mixture is well combined
- Pour the mixture into the greased cake tin
- Bake for 30 minutes in the centre of the oven
- Meanwhile, make the buttercream by combining all the ingredients, except the icing sugar, and mix preferable in a food processor or with a handheld whisk.
- Slowly start to add the icing sugar, bit by bit to achieve the consistency and texture you require (thick or soft)
- Once the sponge is baked, leave to once side to cool before adding buttercream
This cake works just as well made in a loaf tin. For less calories, you can simply add a sprinkling of icing sugar and some chunky slices of fresh orange as well as a little drizzle of coconut or soya cream. Simply delicious whichever way you choose to make and enjoy this gorgeous cake.