A friend in the States shared this delicious recipe with me after I expressed the love for bread and not being able to digest ‘normal’ breads easily. She informed me it was fully loaded with nutritious ingredients, fats and fibres and also extremely tasty.
Here I share with you this recipe as it is Vegan, Gluten Free, Flour & Grain Free too so should cater to many diet restrictions. The recipe is also versatile enough for you to add/ replace with alternative ingredients which I will share with you below.
1 cup sunflower seeds
1/2 cup ground flaxseeds
1/3 cup sliced almonds (or hazelnuts or walnuts)
1 1/2 cup gluten free rolled oats
2 tbsp chia seeds
4 tbsp Psyllium husks (sourced from your local health shops)
1 tsp sea salt
1 tbsp maple syrup
3 tbsp melted coconut oil
1 1/2 cup water
- Add all the dry ingredients together in a bowl and mix well
- Add the wet ingredients and mix well
- Cover with clingfilm and leave to one side for 2 hours (or overnight) for all the ingredients to combine well together and absorb the water. The mixture should firmly come together (not too dry, not wet)
- Pre-heat oven to 160C
- Grease a baking loaf tin and add the ingredients and push down so the mixture sits firmly in the tin
- Bake in the oven for 45 minutes. I initially covered the tin with greaseproof paper for 30 minutes so the top did not burn or crisp up, then removed and let the top brown for the last 15 minutes.
This ‘bread’ is delicious and can be eaten and enjoyed like any other bread. I have enjoyed mine toasted gently and topped with tofu scramble and avocado, eaten simply with peanut butter and a little home made apricot jam or toasted to accompany soup.
This bread will keep in the fridge for 2 weeks or can be frozen.