When making any changes to our diets, it is important to ensure we get the right nutrients to support the healthy function of our body and mind and this comes in the forms of superfoods.
Superfoods are really powerful when it comes to cleansing and detoxifying and there are a number you can choose from.
Chlorella is one of the best as it has a wide spectrum of benefits. This is thanks to its chlorophyll content which is a potent cleanser of the blood and liver. Chlorella is a freshwater green algae which boasts a high level of carbohydrates, enzymes, fibre, antioxidants, beta-carotene and minerals such as calcium, magnesium, iron, zinc, sulphur-phosphorous and iodine.
Other excellent superfoods to help with cleansing are spirulina, barley grass and wheatgrass as well as the following:
- Moringa: This is considered to be one of the most nutrient-dense plants on the planet and contains protein, iron and vitamins A and K. It also boasts fibre, vitamin E, calcium and magnesium.
- Maca: Great for energy, it is also known as Peruvian ginseng and has been used for its adaptogenic properties.
- Coconut: The humble coconut is highly nutritious providing a high content of lauric acid. It also contains anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Seaweed: It has a broader balance of all the nutrient groups than any land foods so is ideal as a dietary foundation to counter nutritional imbalance and to enhance the value of other foods.
- Broccoli: This green vegetable is a great source of fibre and packed with vitamins and minerals. It also boasts high levels of vitamin C.
Put the kettle on!
A wonderful way to obtain the important properties is through a good old cup of tea – the herbal variety!
Lets start with green tea, which is incredibly antioxidant rich and boasts many excellent properties. It is packed full of polyphenols and can also support a healthy waistline as it can help maintain a well functioning metabolism.
I love fennel tea which is great for cleansing. There are many options to choose from so try a variety and see which you will love.
**Always consult your medical practitioner, doctor/GP before embarking on any new changes to your existing diet or adding new foods/supplements**