Tofu is a good source of protein and contains all eight essential amino acids. It is also an excellent source of iron and calcium. I always opt to buy Organic tofu as this not only tastes better, you know of its original source. Tofu is a very versatile bean and needs to be used with fresh or dried herbs to give it maximum flavour. Below you will find some variations to add flavour to tofu.
Ingredients for basic ‘salty’ bites
1 pack organic tofu (250-300g pack) cut into bite-size pieces
2 tbsp olive/sunflower oil
4 tbsp soy sauce/Braggs amino acids (natural soy sauce flavouring that can be bought from Amazon and has numerous health benefits)
Sprinkling of black pepper
1/4 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp turmeric
1/4 tsp coriander powder
- Mix all the above ingredients in a bowl with the tofu pieces. Marinade for an hour or ideally overnight.
- You can saute with a couple of tbsp of sunflower/olive oil or bake in the oven – the choice is yours.
- Cook until the tofu has browned. For a crispy bite, cook for about 30 minutes or for a slightly softer bite, cook for 15-20 minutes.
– Barbecue: Add the above ingredients with the addition of 2 tbsp of maple syrup and 1/2 tsp of smoke paprika
– Chilli: Depending on how hot you can handle your food, add between 1/2 inch to 1 inch fresh or 1/2 tsp dried red chilli
– Curry: Add 1/2 – 1 tsp of curry powder, 1/4 cup coconut milk
– Chinese: Add 2 tbsp honey/maple syrup, 1 tsp sesame seeds, 1/2 tsp chilli powder, 4 tbsp pineapple juice
– Mediterranean: Add 1 tsp ‘zataar’ mix with 1/2 tsp sesame seeds
Once the bites are cooked, you can eat on their own which makes a great snack, add to salads, soups or enjoy in sandwiches, curry’s, stews plus so many more ways to enjoy.