Indulgent, chocolatey, heavenly and rich. This is a great way to use this nutritious vegetable (pumpkin) in a sweet sponge cake.
3 cups self-raising flour
2/3 cup cocoa powder (no added sugar)
2 tsp baking powder
Pinch of salt
2 tsp apple cider vinegar
2 cups milk (soya, almond or coconut all work well)
2/3 cup melted coconut oil
2 tsp vanilla essence
1 cup of organic sugar/coconut sugar (I used coconut palm sugar here)
- Put all the dry ingredients into a mixing bowl and gently mix
- Put all the liquid ingredients into another mixing bowl and gently mix
- Slowly start adding the liquid ingredients into the dry mix and mix together. If you had a food processor or hand held mixer, this works well to ensure all the ingredients are combined well.
- Keep mixing until all the mixture has come together and looks nice and smooth (no lumps).
- Divide the mixture into 2 greased cake pans (8″) and bake in the oven at 180C for about 25 minutes.
Ingredients for filling
1 cup of pumpkin puree (you can buy these in cans – make sure it has no added sugar).
1/4 cup of cocoa powder
1/4 cup of maple syrup
1/2 cup of almond/cashew or peanut butter (no added sugar or salt brands).
Method for filling
- Mix all the filling ingredients really well and then fridge until the cake sponges are ready and cooled down.
- Once the sponges are cool, add the filling in the middle and decorate on top.