We all love to indulge at times right? Well my recipe for this delicious baked ‘New York’ style cheesecake will NOT let you down. It is creamy, tasty, zingy and truly will satisfy that sweet tooth craving when it rears it’s beautiful head 🙂
It is much healthier than most recipes out there so give it a go and let me know what you think.
Makes 8 – 10 slices (depending on how generous you want to be)
2 cups of vegan biscuits (I use ginger nuts as these give a lovely spicy and nutty flavour to the cheesecake) – blend until forms crumbs
1/2 cup of vegan spread (Vitalite works well) – melt and then add to biscuit crumbs
– Push the cookie crumb into a 9/10” cake tin and bake in the oven (at 170C) for 10 minutes until you make the filling
2 packs of silken tofu (I use the brand Yutaku Tofu 349g)
2 packs of vegan cream cheese (Tesco brand works well)
1 cup raw cashews (soaked overnight and drained)
2 tsp vanilla essence
Juice from 1 lemon or lime (plus zest). Use more if you like your cheesecake more tangy
2 tsp cornflour mixed in a small bowl with 4 tbsp cold water. You can use agar agar if your prefer, combining 4 tbsp with water.
1/2 cup maple syrup (or more if you like your cake really sweet) OR 1 small tin of vegan coconut condensed milk (can be purchased online or from health shops).
1. Pre-heat oven to 170C
2. Mix all the above ingredients in a blender until smooth
3. Pour the filling into the cake tin
4. Sprinkle on the lemon/lime zest
5. Bake in the oven for 50 minutes until firm and browned
6. Serve cooled with fresh berries or a fresh berry compote and if desired, coconut/rice whip cream
**For a gluten free cheesecake, simply replace the ginger nuts for a gluten free biscuit variety – this works well**