As the weather starts to get colder, soup is always a great choice for something filling, nutritious and warm.
A few days ago I took part in Bedford’s own ‘SoupFest’ which was raising awareness and money for Bedford’s Homeless and many of Bedford’s top chefs came together and made soup to be sold on the day.
One chef (I don’t know whose wonderful creation it was) made Parsnip & Apple Soup and I was responsible for serving it up.
It looked great however I couldn’t try it out because it had cream in it and as you know, I’m vegan however it looked and smelt great and I was told it tasted delicious so it inspired me to make a #vegan & #glutenfree version.
I have never tried this combination before, thinking it would be too sweet however thinking on it some more, I decided to use a ‘cooking apple’ which is sour & tart instead of a sweet apple to complement the sweet parsnip and the results were amazing. Creamy……delicious…. quick & easy to make so I decided to share the recipe with you here. I hope you enjoy.
8 medium parsnips, peeled and chopped
2 medium parsnips, peeled and thinly sliced (for parsnip crisps)
2 medium potatoes, peeled and chopped
1 large green cooking apple, peeled and chopped
1/4 tsp coconut/sunflower oil
1/2 cup of oat/coconut milk/cream
Good pinch of black pepper and sea salt (to taste)
- Pre-heat the oven to 190C
- In a saucepan add the oil and start to sautés the vegetables for a couple of minutes
- Add 2 litres of just boiled water, turn heat down, simmer for 30 minutes
- Meanwhile, drizzle a little sunflower oil over the thinly sliced parsnips and rub it in
- Lay the parsnips out on a flat baking tray and bake for 20 minutes, ensuring you check on it and mix it regularly so they don’t burn
- Once they have browned, remove from the oven and leave to one side and they will continue to crisp up outside of the oven.
- Sprinkle parsnip crisps with a little salt.
- Once the soup mix has soften, add cream/milk and mix with a hand help blender until smooth
- Serve in soup bowls and top with a few parsnip crisps