As the weather is starting to get colder, what better way to enjoy #meatfreemonday than with my delicious #vegan recipe for ‘Vegetable & Tofu Katsu Curry’.
This is a dish that will surely warm you up and keep you nicely full through the day (I enjoyed this for lunch however you can prepare this and enjoy for dinner too).
2 medium white potatoes, peeled and sliced into small cubes
1 large sweet potato, peeled and sliced into small cubes
1 large carrot, peeled and sliced into small cubes
1 x 400g pack of extra firm tofu, drained (for approx 1 hour) and cut into small cubes
4 tbsp tomato passata
2 tbsp soya sauce
2 tbsp sunflower oil
Pinch of black pepper
1 cup of finely sliced white cabbage
4 tsp mild/medium curry powder
2 tsp garam masala powder
2 tsp coconut oil or 4 tsp sunflower oil
4 bay leaves
1 tsp maple syrup
1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
2 tbsp soya sauce
Approx 2 -3 cups of vegetable stock (you can use fresh vegetable stock that you have pre-made or into 3 cups of water, add 2 vegetable stock cubes)
1 tbsp gluten free flour (mixed with 3 tbsp cold water)
- Pre-heat the oven to 200C
- In a deep baking tray add tomato passata, soya sauce, sunflower oil and mix in the tofu, ensuring that the tofu is covered in the dressing before baking in the oven for 45 minutes, mixing it up half way through
- In a large saucepan, add the sunflower oil and white cabbage and sauté for a few minutes before adding in the herbs and spices
- Add the vegetables and stir for 5 minutes
- Add the vegetable stock, soya sauce, lemon juice & maple syrup, stir.
- Add the gluten free flour and stir so there are no lumps
- Turn heat down and cook for 20 minutes
- Once the tofu pieces have cooked, add this to the curry and mix and simmer for a further 10 minutes
- Meanwhile make some white or brown rice to serve the curry with.
Once the curry and rice are ready, serve with an Asian style quick salad. Enjoy x
**Tip 1: to make rice, remember the rules 1) wash the rice in cold water until water runs clear 2) it’s always the 2:1 rule, 2 cup water (cold) to 1 cup rice
**Tip 2: Asian Style Salad is really easy to make. To serve 4 generously you will need 2 cups of finely sliced red cabbage, 1 cup of finely slice white cabbage, 1 large carrot grates. Dressing: Juice from 1/2 orange, juice from 1/2 lemon, 1 inch finely grated ginger, 2 tbsp chilli oil or olive oil, 2 tbsp soya sauce, 1 tsp maple syrup, 1 tsp toasted sesame seeds, pinch of black pepper.