This is a truly tasty and healthier sweet treat that will curb your sugar craving…naturally! This dish is not only tasty, it is versatile enough to add your favourite nuts, flavours and fruits to make it into your favourite ‘go to’ brownie dessert/snack.
2 cups walnuts
2 cups mejdool dates
1/4 cup cacao powder
Juice from 1/2 orange (including zest if desired)
Pinch of sea salt
Pinch of cinnamon
- Put the walnuts into the blender and blitz, not too fine
- Add the dates and blend until the dates have broken down and the mixture is starting to come together
- Add the cacao powder, salt & cinnamon and continue to blend
- Finally add the orange zest and the juice, tablespoon by tablespoon, until the mixture comes together and comes away from the sides of the blender
- In a square 8/10″ baking tray (ideally the ones that the sides come off), put the mixture and push down until the mixture is flat. You can freeze the mixture for 30 minutes in the freezer or refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Slice into 12/16 pieces and enjoy
– To make your brownie a little sharp, add unsweetened cranberries or even barberries
– You can add any nut that you like instead of walnuts or in the mix i.e. 1 cup walnuts, 1 cup cashews, or 2 cups of mixed nuts. To make this brownie even tastier, you can toast the nuts!
– In addition to dates, you can mix other dried fruits into the mix i.e. 1 cup dates, 1 cup apricots or 1 cup dates, 1 cup golden berries. The choice is yours.
– To enhance the flavour you can add 2 tsp of the following natural flavourings: vanilla, cinnamon, maple, salted caramel, almond.